10.03.2011

Off to the Races



About a week ago I was given the chance to attend the finals of the F1 race held in Singapore. It wasn't on my wish list of events to go to before I die like, say the Olympics or Fashion Week, but the F1 race was nonetheless an opportunity to take part in an unique event. 


Getting to experience the race live, versus on television, also helped me understand the appeal of the sport much better. Initially I couldn't understand the interest. As a person who prefers doing a sport over being a paying spectator, I wondered how the audience - most of which couldn't even fathom what driving an F1 vehicle would feel like - would relate, and thus enjoy the sport. 




What became apparent is the fact that you are partaking, in a way. The image of the car may just be a blur but your other senses pick up where sight leaves off. The roar of the engines is deafening, and the physical rumble of the cars as they pass by literally resonates with vibrations. You "feel" the race more than anything, which was a fun surprise. More pictures from the event below. 




My ticket for the sky suite, where I got to watch the race.


The waving drivers get taken around the course before the race starts.


One practice lap before the official start.


Nearby screens show the cars on other parts of the extensive track.


Earplugs. Necessary (!) to watch the cars and come out with your hearing intact.


The one crash that occurred during the race. Apparently the appearance record of the safety car (which comes out after a crash) in the Singapore night race has been 100%!


The car of the eventual champion, Sebastian Vittel.

No comments:

Post a Comment